Skip to content

Welcome to Website 101

Welcome to Website 102!

Instructional Notebook

Movie Request Form

District PD

Professional Learning Announcement                  


GKE (General Knowledge Exam) Preparation


VCS has added additional face to face training to help teachers prepare to take the General Knowledge Exam. Choose from sessions in January, February, March, or May. The General Knowledge Exam assesses the skills and knowledge all candidates need to begin effective careers as professional educators. The General Knowledge Exam consists of four subtests:

·       Essay Subtest

·       English Language Skills (ELS) Subtest

·       Reading Subtest

·       Mathematics Subtest


If you are interested, click here for course details. Register via MyPGS. If you have any questions, please contact Christy Disinger at [email protected] or call ext. 20549.


Attention VCS NEW Teachers!


New teachers in the Teacher Induction Program have two professional learning options that will fulfill the required Diversity & Equity component of the New Teacher Induction Program (TIP).


This is a great opportunity for new teachers to fulfill the required Diversity and Equity Component of the VCS New Teacher Induction Program (TIP), collaborate with colleagues, and start their own personalized learning journey through Micro-Credentials! Micro-credentials are competency based, personalized, on-demand and self-paced professional learning that recognize educators for skills they learn throughout their careers. All of the learning will take place using the Bloomboard platform. VCS New Teachers will work toward completing the “Anti-Bias Instruction” Micro-credential.

Registration is now open and available via MyPGS for the three different cohorts we are launching this year! The Cohort #2 Kickoff Event is December 7, 2017 at the Spruce Creek High School Media Center.  You only need to register for one cohort. Bloomboard representatives will be present to train cohort members on Micro-Credentials and the Bloomboard platform. After the kickoff, you will be working at your own pace to complete the Microcredential. Optional bi-weekly webinars hosted by Bloomboard representatives and district specialists will be held to support teachers throughout this journey. You definitely don’t want to miss out on an opportunity to BLOOM and be a part of this new personalized learning initiative!


Please click here for details and MyPGS section numbers.  If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Christy Disinger at [email protected] or ext. 20549.  




Teaching students in today’s cultural climate can be challenging.  Enroll in this course to obtain strategies and techniques that will help you close the cultural gap in your classroom.  By the end of the session, participants will be able to:

·         Make the connection between culture and cognition

·         Demonstrate how a caring educator with high expectations functions in the classroom

·         Design strength-focused lessons and activities

·         Implement research-based pedagogy in classrooms with ethnically diverse students

Please click here for details and MyPGS section numbers. Note – there is a fee for non-VUE members. If you have any questions about this training please contact Sandy Bailey at [email protected] or call the office at (386)238-1605. 


Webinar: ”Using Classcraft in Social Studies”


Join Tara Ballard from Creekside Middle School on Thursday, November 30 at 7:30PM for “Using Classcraft in Social Studies” webinar. Register HERE.  Questions? Contact Tara Ballard. Participation is voluntary; in-service credits will not be awarded.




The Cornell Lab of Ornithology


2018 Celebrate Urban Birds Mini-Grants available. Deadline to apply is December 31, 2017



College Information


Ashford University

Volusia County Schools staff could take advantage of:

·         20% Discount on Tuition

·         Waive technology fee

·         Waive cost of required course materials


All courses are online - review all our programs at


University of Phoenix

Educator Insights – This bulletin includes submissions of articles and/or stories from educators around the country, in an effort to provide peer to peer information that is relevant and useful to the readers. We are now seeking articles to publish in the New Year's edition of Educator Insights.  Suggestions for submissions include:

·         Subjects and Tips for Guest Teachers

·         Subjects & Tips for New Teachers

·         Subjects & Tips for Administrators

·         Subjects & tips for Human Resources

·         Subjects & Tips for near Retirement and/or Retired Teachers

·         Feature Article for all

According to the National Day Calendar™, National Special Education Day is observed annually on December 2nd.

"Special Education Day marks the anniversary of our nation’s first federal special education law which was signed by President Gerald Ford on December 2, 1975.   This law is the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA).
IDEA made education available to all American children and this day honors the progress that has been made in special education."

For this reason, it seems fitting to both acknowledge the day and provide information on our Special Education courses.

Contact: Vanessa Rodriguez, M.A., Regional Development Specialist, Community Partnerships, University of Phoenix, College of Education
Direct 305.509.0155 Fax 602.735.6412 | Email [email protected] 

Previously sent....


2017-2018 Professional Learning Plan

2017-2018 Professional Learning Plan Video

Professional Learning Plan Information

New Teachers - Transferring your Points from Another District

Using MyPGS

How to Search, Register and Withdraw from Professional Learning in MyPGS


Learning Opportunities:

Corwin Press Monday Afternoon Webinar Series September 11-December 18

Daytona State College GKE Training - October

ESE Learning Opportunities for 2017-18

ESE Self-paced Online Learning Modules 2017-18

General Knowledge Exam Preparation Training  November and January

Learning Forward’s 2017 Annual Conference – “Learning Beyond the Horizon”, Dec. 2-6

New Teachers – Anti-bias Instruction Micro-credential Cohorts, October, December, February

New Teachers – VSET/DPP Makeup Training

New Teachers – Champs Makeup Training

Professional Standards & Ethics Makeup Training for New Teachers, Oct. through January dates

Project Learning Tree Conference – Nov 3-5

Reading Endorsement Courses Beginning in January 2018

Teaching Foundational Skills for K-3 Teachers – Free for a Limited Time Registration ends Dec. 3

UCF  - Psychotropic Medications for Children and Adolescents – January 13, 2018

Volusia eLEARNS! Thursday PM Webinar Series

VUE Trainings:  Foundations – Nov. 15;  Culturally Responsive Pedagogy - Dec. 4 & 11