Welcome to English III
If you would like to receive reminders/notifications on your phone through texting and be able to contact Mrs. Hicks through texting, you will want to join the Remind 101 for your group--English III (1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th periods.) or Eng. III Hon (2nd and 6th periods). You will find the instructions on how to join in the Files labeled "Syllabus and Lesson Plans". Be sure you are adding your name to the correct class group. Parents, you are welcome to join the group to which your student belongs as well.
English III should join by using the following link on their smartphones: http://rmd.at/hd4fb3
English III Hon. should join by using the following link on their smartphones: http://rmd.at/h8fah
This quarter is centered around the Arthur Miller play, The Crucible. Therefore, we will be researching the original Salem Witch trials and later comparing the play and the history to modern witch hunts. We will also be comparing the interpretation through film to the original text and writing a literary analysis essay, analyzing theme or character development throughout the play. In the second quarter, we will move from colonial America into the birth of the nation and examine seminal American texts like the Declaration of Independence, Constitution Bill of Rights, and famous speeches before making persuasive speeches or essays of our own. Finally, the English III classes will examine argumentation and practice it in a VLT Argumentative Essay, while the honors classes will be learning and practicing rhetorical analysis essays, which they will write for their VLT this semester.
Please note the daily lesson plans and powerpoints posted at the end of each week to keep informed of makeup work or instructions you need. You can also use the Remind 101 or webmail to contact me about anything specific. Please remember that formative work must be made up within 24 hrs. of the deadline, and any retakes on summatives should be done in a timely manner. If any formative work cannot be made up individually at a later time, students will be excused from that assignment. Otherwise, appointments should be made to meet me at lunch for makeup help.
While we will be reading the play together in class, I will post websites below on which the play can be read in pdf format online; it can also be found in the student textbook found in the student's VPortal under the tile "Digital Resources" and then "Houghton Mifflin".
Act II (Sept. 18-21, 2018)
Act III and IV (Sept. 24-28, 2018)
We will be reading and discussing Act III in class on Monday through Wednesday of this week and taking a quiz on Act III on Thursday. The goal is to finish our reading of the entire play on Friday. This will end our formative work on The Crucible. The final two weeks of the quarter will be spent on summative work on our standards of analyzing the author's choices and purposes, tracing the development of plot, theme, and characters through a literary analysis essay, a socratic seminar, and a paper test.
Make sure that you come in this week (Monday through Thursday) at lunch to make up any work missed last week, and that you turn in your Act II theme paragraph no later than Wednesday of this week in order to receive credit and feedback before summative work is done.
Final week of the Quarter, Oct. 8-12
Not only is this week Homecoming Week, it is the week we finish our summative work for the first quarter. Monday (and Tuesday for regulary classes) the final work on our Literary Analysis Essay will be done and students will receive the information they need to prepare for their summative Socratic Discussion of The Crucible. The discussion takes place in class on Thursday and students MUST come prepared with the written comments/questions required for preparation; this will be worth 34 pts. of thei grade. Their ability to build on one another's ideas during discussion earns up to 34 pts, and their observation notes will make the final 34 pts. of the grade.
Be sure to come in during lunch Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday to make up any summative work you miss so report card grades are reflective of the entire quarter's achievemnts. If a student is absent for discussion on Thursday, he/she should come with written preparation work on Friday and be ready to present knowledge orally to class for a makeup grade.
Be sure to check out the powerpoints for each week to get a better view of what was covered or missed.
Syllabus and Lesson Plans
- 2018-19 English III Syllabus.doc (70.0 KBs)
- 2018-19 English III Honors Syllabus.docx (40.1 KBs)
- Lesson Plans, 1st Q, wk #1, Aug. 13-17, 2018.doc (47.5 KBs)
- Lesson Plans, 1st Q, wk #2, Aug. 20-24, 2018.doc (41.5 KBs)
- Lesson Plans, 1st Q, wk #3, Aug. 27-31, 2018.doc (41.5 KBs)
- Lesson Plans, 1st Q, wk #4, Sept. 3-7, 2018.doc (43.0 KBs)
- Lesson Plans, 1st Q, wk #5, Sept. 10-14, 2018.doc (45.0 KBs)
- Lesson Plans, 1st Q, wk #6, Sept. 17-21, 2018.doc (44.0 KBs)
- Lesson Plans, 1st Q, wk #7, Sept. 24-28, 2018.doc (43.5 KBs)
- Lesson Plans, 1st Q, wk #8, Oct. 1-5, 2018.doc (43.5 KBs)
- SIX WORD MEMOIR PAPER AND EXPLANATION.docx (11.9 KBs)
- Six Word Memoir Rubric.docx (13.9 KBs)
- SYLLABUS SCAVENGER HUNT.docx (13.6 KBs)
- WITCH WEBQUEST Questions.doc (27.0 KBs)
- Makeup assignment for Act I Vocabulary Formative.docx (12.0 KBs)
- Act I Character Frailty chart, formative for Honors.docx (17.3 KBs)
- Character trait graphic organizer, Abigail and Paris, Act I for regular.doc (28.0 KBs)
- SUMMARY PARAGRAPH OF ACT I.docx (14.5 KBs)
- Verbal Irony paragraph assignment on Blaxicans and Other Reinvented Americans.docx (13.9 KBs)
- Assignment, Sept. 14, 2018.pptx (41.7 KBs)
- Act II Assignments.pptx (37.3 KBs)
- QUESTIONS FOR SOCRATIC SEMINAR SUMMATIVE.doc (39.0 KBs)
- Honors Socratic Article, How McCarthyism Worked _ HowStuffWorks.html (543.7 KBs)
- McCarthyism article for regular students.docx (61.2 KBs)
Class notes, PowerPoints, models, examples, helps
- Six Word Memoirs powerpoint.pptx (2.2 MBs)
- My memoir slides.pptx (4.1 MBs)
- 1st Q, wk #1 pwpnt..pptx (63.8 KBs)
- 1st Q, wk #2, Aug. 20-24.pptx (102.9 KBs)
- 1st Q, wk #3, Aug. 27-31.pptx (144.0 KBs)
- 1st Q, wk #4, Sept. 4-7.pptx (56.3 KBs)
- Verbal Irony Lessons.pptx (180.0 KBs)
- 1st Q, wk #5, Sept. 10-14.pptx (243.2 KBs)
- 1st Q, wk #6, Sept. 18-21.pptx (53.4 KBs)
- 1st Q, wk #7, Sept. 24-28.pptx (49.7 KBs)
- 1st Q, wk #8, Oct. 1-5.pptx (47.4 KBs)